Four generations of American scholarship on Russian music : a conference and concert in honor of Malcolm H. Brown's 90th birthday.
- 1. [ambience] (00:07)
- 2. Opening Remarks: J. Peter Burkholder and Dean Emeritus Charles Webb (13:27)
- Panel 1: Musical Resonances
- 3. [announcement] (01:20)
- 4. William Quillen, The "Culturological" Turn (28:53)
- 5. [Question & Answer Session] (09:18)
- 6. [announcement] (00:41)
- 7. Russell Scott Valentino, Domesticating the Pretender in Agnieszka Holland's Olivier, Olivier (33:16)
- 8. [Question & Answer Session] (05:52)
- 9. [announcement] (00:28)
- 10. Jacob Emery, Mandelstam's Magic Wand: Reading, Writing, and Conducting (34:22)
- 11. [Question & Answer Session] (06:57)
- 12. [announcement] (00:50)
- 13. Tributes & Reminiscenses (45:23)
- 14. [announcement] (00:43)
- 1. [ambience] (00:10)
- Panel 2: In Search of Soviet Culture
- 2. [announcement] (00:59)
- 3. Kevin Bartig, Oranges in Leningrad (33:03)
- 4. [Question & Answer Session] (04:02)
- 5. [announcement] (00:46)
- 6. Maria Fokina, Negotiating Authenticity in Arif Melikov's Ballet Legend of Love (30:40)
- 7. [Question & Answer Session] (00:40)
- 8. [announcement] (00:49)
- 9. Aida Huseynova, Restructuring Soviet Musical Identity in the Works of Gara Garayev (34:23)
- 10. [Question & Answer Session] (03:40)
- 11. [announcement] (00:30)
- 1. [ambience] (00:08)
- Panel 3: Russia Abroad
- 2. [announcement] (01:13)
- 3. Anya Peterson Royce, Embodying Space and Flow: Fokine and the Russian Ballet (39:07)
- 4. [announcement] (01:22)
- 5. Alexis Witt, Ocular Operas and Pirated Pirouettes: America's First Experiences with Russian Ballet (31:57)
- 6. [announcement] (01:01)
- 7. Patrick Domico, Koussevitzky's Composer (29:17)
- 8. [Question & Answer Session] (07:09)
- 9. [announcement] (00:49)
- Main contributor
See Other Contributors
Burkholder, J. Peter (James Peter); Webb, Charles H. (Charles Haizlip); Quillen, William (Musicologist); Valentino, Russell Scott, 1962-; Emery, Jacob, 1977-; Glen, Constance Cook; Ostrow, Elizabeth; Rabinowitch, Janet; Bartig, Kevin; Fokina, Maria (Musicologist); Huseynova, Aida; Royce, Anya Peterson; Witt, Alexis L.; Morrison, Simon Alexander, 1964-; Resur, Cyrus; Tadey, Anthony
Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
Speeches.; Conference papers and proceedings.
Brown, Malcolm Hamrick; Anniversaries, etc; Songs and music
- Physical Description
1 online resource (streaming video files) : digital
- Related Item
Title from program.
"This conference is co-sponsored by the Musicology Department, the Jacobs School of Music Lecture Committee, the Russian and East European Institute, the Horizons of Knowledge Lecture Fund, and the Russian Studies Workshop"--program.
Program contains full event schedule, session abstracts, program notes, and biographican information about Malcolm Hamrick Brown, the presenters, and the performers (20 pages).
Not recorded: An evening of Shostakovich quartets : featuring the Pacifica Quartet and the Dior Quartet. String quartet not. 9 in E-flat major, op. 117 (1964) . Dmitri Shostakovich (Dior Quartet (Noa Sarid, Tobias Elser, violins ; Darryl Manley, viola ; Joanne Yesol Choi, cello)) -- String quartet no. 2 in A major, op. 68 (1944) / Dmitri Shostakovich (Pacifica Quartet (Simin Ganatra, Austin Hartman, violins ; Mark Holloway, viola ; Brandon Vamos, cello)).
Cyrus Resur, Anthony Tadey, production.
Presentations in English.
Opening remarks (J. Peter Burkholder, Charles Webb) --
Panel 1: Musical resonances (J. Peter Burkholder, chair). [announcement] -- The "culturological" turn ; [Question & answer session] / William Quillen (Oberlin Conservatory) -- [announcement] -- Domesticating the pretender in Agnieszka Holland's Olivier, Olivier ; [Question & answer session] / Russell Scott Valentino (Indiana University) -- [announcement] -- Mandelstam's magic wand : reading, writing, and conducting ; [Question & answer session] / Jacob Emery (Indiana University) --
[announcement] -- Tributes & reminiscenses (Constance Cook Glen, Elizabeth Ostrow, Janet Rabinowitch, Richard Taruskin) -- [announcement] --
Panel 2: In search of Soviet culture (Constance Cook Glen, chair). [announcement] -- Oranges in Leningrad ; [Question & answer session] / Kevin Bartig (Michigan State University) -- [announcement] -- Negotiating Authenticity in Arif Melikov's ballet Legend of love (1961) ; [Question & answer session] / Maria Fokina -- [announcement] -- Restructuring Soviet musical identify in the works of Gara Garayev ; [Question & answer session] / Aida Huseynova (Indiana University) -- [announcement] --
Panel 3: Russia abroad (Halina Goldberg, chair). [announcement] -- Embodying space and flow : Fokine and the Russian ballet / Anya Peterson Royce (Indiana University) -- [announcement] -- Ocular operas and the pirated pirouettes : America's first experiences with Russian ballet / Alex Witt (Indiana University) -- [announcement] -- Koussevitzky's composer / Patrick Domico (Indiana University) -- [Question & answer session] -- [announcement] --
[announcement] -- Keynote lecture: Malcolm and the Archive / Simon A Morrison (Princeton University) -- [announcement].
Recorded live: 2019, September 28, Ford-Crawford Hall and Auer Hall, Simon Music Center, Indiana University, Bloomington.
- Other Identifiers
Catalog Key: 18574928; Other: VAE1464; OCLC: ocn1196189722; OCLC: 1196189722
This item is accessible by: the public.