[United States, Indiana, Bloomington, 2018] / Shyam Nepali ; collected by Archives staff.
- Alan Burdette - speaker
- Shyam Nepali - Nepali Sarangi and vocals
- 2. Shyam Nepali introduces his music and his instrument; the difficulty of mountain life and Terence Bech's research. (03:39)
- 3. The mountain life is not easy (instrumental) (06:50)
- 4. Sani sani hey jhilke nani, kati ramro kapaala koreki = [Hey girl, how beautiful is your hair arranged?] (07:37)
- 5. Sensitivity of the instrument to climate; Difference between his playing style and the playing of old masters of the past (02:53)
- 6. Ho mero Sarangi ko katha sunauchu = [I'll tell you a story of my Sarangi] (06:13)
- 7. Hey thuli nakaima fuli, dijel motor chadera Trishuli = [Hey big girl with a stud on your nose, on your way to Trishuli on a diesel motor] (07:09)
- 8. "Old Time Sally Ann" mixed with Nepali music (instrumental) (05:45)
- 9. A Nepali tune similar to European tunes (instrumental) (03:38)
- 10. Salala bageko paani jhai, ma farki aaudaina = [Like the river that flows, I will not come back] (03:33)
- 11. Hamro ta naani khyal garne baani kanchi matyang-tyang, jhan maya gahiro cha kanchi matyang-tyang (We have the habit of caring, dear one, deeper is our love) (05:10)
- 12. Questions from the audience; and closing (09:34)
- Main contributor
See Other Contributors
Concert and lecture by Shyam Nepali about sarangi music of Nepal. Performance includes traditional music and new compositions by Shyam Nepali.
Nepali, Shyam; Indiana University, Bloomington. Archives of Traditional Music
Folk music.; Lectures.
Sarangi music; Sarangi players; Folk music
Archival use and reproduction for non-profit educational or research purposes; Archives of Traditional Music.
- Physical Descriptions
1 online resource (1 audio file (1 hr., 4 min., 49 sec.)) : stereo, MP4 + documentation; 1 online resource (3 audio files (4 hr., 13 min., 30 sec.)) : digital, mono, WAV; 1 online resource (2 audio files (2 hr., 9 min., 38 sec.)) : digital, stereo, WAV; 90 digital image files
Some accompanying photographs are from Shyam Nepali's visit to Bloomington and the Archives of Traditional Music to do research, not necessarily from the event itself.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Documentation consists of poster, set list, inventories, and biographical information for the performer.
Spoken in English, sung in Nepali.
Born digital files stored in the Archives of Traditional Music's server on IU Scholarly Data Archive.
Shyam Nepali, sarangi, vocals.
Statement of Responsibility
Shyam Nepali ; collected by Archives staff.
The mountain lift is not easy (instrumental) / Shyam Nepali -- Sani sani hey jhilke nani, kati ramro kapaala koreki [=Hey girl, how beautiful is your hair arranged] -- Ho mero sarangi ko katha sunauchu [=I'll tell you a story of my sarangi] -- Hey thuli nakaima fuli, dijel motor chadera trishuli = [Hey big girl with a stud on your nose, on your way to Trishuli on a diesel motor] -- Old time Sally Ann (instrumental) -- Nepali folk tune (instrumental) -- Salala bageko paani jhai, ma farki aaudaina [=Like the river that flows, I will not come back] / Shyam Nepali -- Hamro ta naani khyal garne baani kanchi matyang-tyang, jhan maya gahiro cha kanchi matyang-tyang [=We have the habit of caring, dear one, deeper is our love].
Recorded in the Hoagy Carmichael Room, Morrison Hall, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana on April 12, 2018 by Archives staff.
- Other Identifiers
Catalog Key: 19177883; OCLC: ocn1259444972; OCLC: 1259444972; Collection Identifier: 20-050-F
This item is accessible by: the public.