Being Lucky: Dictation for Introduction, J.K. Lilly, and Eli Lilly
- 1. Book layout and coverage (01:22)
- 2. Hopes for his presidency (01:34)
- 3. Directs readers to chronology in appendix for complete record of activities (02:54)
- 4. IU Press editor directs Wells to shorten book (03:47)
- 5. IU's involvement in and book's coverage of international activities (04:21)
- 6. Has been candid throughout book (01:49)
- 7. Prefers to write about colleagues and their work (01:21)
- 8. Presidency busy but stimulating (03:02)
- 9. Dictates congratulatory letter to Arbutus editors (01:55)
- 10. Dedication to presidency; enjoyed the work (02:49)
- 11. Importance of administrative colleagues; activities led to further growth of the university (03:42)
- 12. J.K. Lilly and gift of his library (04:38)
- 13. Eli Lilly and gifts of family homes (02:48)
- 14. [blank] (11:37)
- Main contributor
Wells, Herman B
The Herman B Wells papers includes materials pertaining to Wells' family and personal finances, his activities in the banking profession, his work in Germany for the United States government after World War II, and to his research and teaching and professional activities as a member of the faculty of Indiana University.
Wells, Herman B; Indiana University, Bloomington; Indiana University--Presidents; College presidents; Lilly, Josiah Kirby, 1893-1966; Lilly, Eli, 1885-1977
United States; Indiana; Bloomington
For more information, contact the Indiana University Archivist.
- Physical Description
Type 1 analog audio cassette: Sony C90
- Related Item
ADDITIONAL CITATION INFORMATION: Herman B Wells papers, Collection C75, Indiana University Archives, Bloomington.
Before becoming president of Indiana University, Herman B Wells served as an assistant cashier at the National Bank of Lebanon before going on to work for the Indiana Bankers Association, the Indiana Commission for Financial Institutions, and the Indiana Department of Financial Institutions. He was named dean of the Indiana University School of Business administration in 1935 by IU President William Lowe Bryan. In 1937 he was named acting president of the university and president the following year, a position he held until 1962. Upon his retirement, IU created the position of University Chancellor, which Dr. Wells held until his death in 2000. Wells began working on his autobiography in the mid-1970s. It was published as "Being Lucky" by Indiana University Press in 1980.
- Other Identifiers
Catalog Key: 6440423; Other: GR00405813; Collection Identifier: C75; MDPI Barcode: 40000003560374; OCLC: ocn499120840