- Main contributors:
- Burnim, Mellonee V. (Mellonee Victoria), 1950-, Pollard, Deborah Smith, Jones, Alisha Lola, Cooper, Tyron
- As part of the 2016 Themester Beauty, the Archives of African American Music and Culture (AAAMC) hosted a presentation and panel discussion event in the Grand Hall of the Neal Marshall Black Culture Center. Comprised of IUB faculty members from the departments of Folklore and Ethnomusicology and African American and African Diaspora Studies, as well as a distinguished scholar and guest speaker Deborah Smith Pollard from Michigan State University, the panel explored concepts of beauty in music from two distinct, though related perspectives. Representations of gendered body images, male and female, served as one area of focus, while the second topic explored the body of aesthetic values which distinguish African American performance in ways which not only contrast, but often contradict those preferred by the larger American public.
Could not complete log in. Possible causes and solutions are:
- Cookies are not set, which might happen if you've never visited this website before.
Please open https://media.dlib.indiana.edu/ in a new window, then come back and refresh this page.
- An ad blocker is preventing successful login.
Please disable ad blockers for this site then refresh this page.
- Burnim, Mellonee V. (Mellonee Victoria), 1950-2
- Cooper, Tyron✖[remove]2
- Jones, Alisha Lola✖[remove]2
- Pollard, Deborah Smith1
- Williams-Forson, Psyche A.1